Here are some FAQ,s

First Aid

Q. How many First Aiders do I need?

A. See ‘First Aider Requirements’ document

Q. What’s the difference between the 1 Day and the 3 Day Course?

A. See ‘First Aid Course Comparison Table’ document

Q. How long does my certificate last?

A. Certificates for both the 1 Day and the 3 Day course last three years.

If you hold the 1 Day certificate you will need to attend another 1 day course after three years.

If you hold the 3 Day certificate you can attend the 2 Day Requalification course before your certificate expires.  If your certificate has already expired you will need to attend the full three day course.

N.B. The 2 Day First Aid at work requalification course is very intensive, covering all the modules from the initial three-day course but in less time and assumes prior knowledge. Your first aiders may benefit from the more comprehensive teaching and extra practice of the three-day First aid at work course for their requalification.

Q. Can you provide training at our premises?

A. Yes. If you have a group of employees who all need training at the same time we can come      to you.  All you’ll need to provide is a suitable training room.

Q. What other First Aid Training courses can Sivatech provide?

A. Paediatric First Aid
First Aid at Work Recertification
Life support/AED Training (Defibrillator)

Driver CPC

Q. Does the Driver CPC ever expire?

A. Yes. You will need to renew your Driver CPC every 5 years by completing a minimum of 35 hours approved training. The driver has flexibility as to how he / she takes the 35 hours training over this time, providing it occurs in blocks of at least seven hours at one time. So, for example, a driver may complete all 35 hours in one year, or just one course of 7 hours a year, for 5 years.

Q. Are there any exemptions to the Diver CPC?

A. Drivers of the following vehicles will not be required to hold a Driver CPC:

  1. A vehicle with a maximum authorized speed not exceeding 45 km/h;
  2. A vehicle used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, a police force, a fire and rescue authority;
  3. A vehicle undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt Vehicles which have not yet been put into service;
  4. A vehicle used in a state of emergency or assigned to a rescue mission;
  5. A vehicle used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a CPC;
  6. A vehicle used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use;
  7. A vehicle carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle is not that person’s principal activity.

Q. Is it an offence for someone to drive without a CPC when they should have one?

A. Yes there will be penalties if someone drives without a valid CPC. If you do not complete your training on time, you will no longer be able to drive your LGV or PCV. You may also be fined £1000. There will also be penalties for companies who cause or permit a driver to drive without CPC.

Q. What do I need to start Driver periodic CPC training?

A. You will need  a photo card licence, if you still have a paper licence you will need to apply for a photo card one.

Click here on how to apply.

Q. How do I check how many hours Driver CPC I have completed?

A. To find out how many hours of Periodic Training a driver has completed they should contact the DSA by e-mail at CPCRE@dsa.gsi.gov.uk and provide:

• A request for a statement of Periodic Training to be posted to their home address
• Name
• Date of Birth
• Driver licence number
• Home address

Only the driver may make the request and the statement will be posted to the driver’s home address as shown on their driving licence.

Forklift Training

Q. What’s the difference between a Counterbalance & Reach Truck?

A. With the Counterbalance forklift truck, the forks are at the front of the truck.

With the Reach forklift truck, the forks are at the side.

Q. Will one certificate cover an operator for all trucks?

A. No. Certification will only cover the operator for the forklift that they have undergone training for. For instance a counterbalance licence will not cover an operator for a reach truck.

Once a delegate has passed on one forklift, they are then able to convert over to another truck.

Q. Is there a written exam?

A. You will have to answer multiple choice questions & some of the questions will require bullet point answers.

Q. How many delegates can you have per course?

A. You can have a maximum of 3 delegates per course.

Q. How often do I need to do a refresher course?

A. It is recommended by RTITB/ITSSAR that certified forklift operators require a refresher every 3 years in accordance with HSE recommendations. The refresher courses are held over one day.

Q. Do you need a driving licence to drive a forklift truck?

A. No. A driving licence for a car is not needed unless forklifts are being driven on the road.

Q. Can training be completed at Sivatech or our company premises?

A. Training can be carried out at Sivatech’s dedicated training centre or on-site training can be arranged at your company’s premises.

Q. Will the certification cover our company for Health & Safety and Insurance purposes?

A. Yes. All Sivatech training Instructors and Examiners are fully accredited with ITSSAR (Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register). All training courses are to the National Standards.

Q. Is there an age requirement for forklift operators?

A. Yes there is. Operators must be over the age of 16.

Fire Safety

Q. Under the new legislation am I required to train my staff?  

A. Yes, fire safety training is now mandatory.

Q. When they have been trained do I need to repeat the training? 
A. Yes we suggest that fire wardens retrain every 3 years and for basic fire awareness, every 12 – 18 months.

Q. How many fire wardens do I need?  

A. This will depend on your risk assessment, the size and complexity of the building and how many staff you employ.

Q. Does the training include the use of fire extinguishers? 

A. All of our courses except the managing fire safety and evacuation chair course include the use of fire extinguishers.

Q. How do I go about completing a fire safety risk assessment? 

A. Attend the managing fire safety course to have a better understanding of what is required and help to make your staff safer.




View Larger Map


Phone: 01296 717800
Fax: 01296 717818
Email: enquiries@sivatech.co.uk